Begun as an outgrowth of a religious survey in Bedford in August 1955, the First Baptist Church of Bedford met for the first time in the old Bedford Library on Sunday, May 27, 1956, with 30 persons present. Rev. Howard Joslyn, Director of Evangelism for the Massachusetts Baptist Convention, conducted services and performed other pastoral duties. A Dedication Service program from October 1956 listed 41 charter members.
The present church site was purchased in September 1956 and included the parsonage which was used for the sanctuary and Sunday School. Rev. Harold Pillsbury, Chaplain at Metropolitan State Hospital, was acting pastor from October 1956 to April 1957 when the first permanent pastor, Rev. Arthur Foye, was called here. To serve the growing church, the building of a small chapel (now known as the CE Building) began in October 1957, and the first worship service there was held Christmas Sunday 1957. The groundbreaking of the present sanctuary took place in March 1962, and the first service there was held in December 1962.